I propose to start every new week with a song that takes us somewhere in the world.
This is the story of a failed singer. “His friend plays in a jazz club in Moscow”, but himself “plays old Soviet shit songs for drunk people” in a shithole in the middle of Russia.
One day, he decides to write his own song: Edu v Magadan (I’m going to Magadan) which quickly becomes a huge success, “unsurprisingly because it is a shit song”: everyone in Russia loves it and even the prime minister has it as his ringtone!
Edu v Magadan is a satire from Russian rapper Vasia Oblomov that proved so popular that he published it in English, too. For the original version in Russian follow this link.
Have a great week!
This post is part of a weekly event called The Monday Travel song. You can participate, too, by doing the following:
- Create your own post every Monday and title it The Monday travel song: xxx by xxx
- Include a link to a song (YouTube link or other)
- It must be a song which is linked to a geography. For example, a Russian song, a Chinese song, a Scottish song… (it can be from your own country every now and then, but remember the purpose is to get others to virtually travel!)
- Your post doesn’t have to be long, but do tell us a little bit about the song… for example by telling about the lyrics, about the composer, about the style…
- Include a link to my own Monday travel song in your post tag it “Monday-travel-song” so others can find it too